The Hard Road Ahead

The Hard Road Ahead 

Life in the 1850s was not very easy because there were a lot of rats and things that could cause a very bad cold. Some kids died at a very young age because of this. The worst thing was getting past red coats and the troopers. The troopers were not very fair. People that had not had a license given to them would usually get arrested or be punished. The troopers would scam people sometimes and they would be horrible to people who had not done anything. The Red Coats were very cruel because they would help troopers catch people who have not done anything which was pretty much the same thing as the troopers did.

In the 1850s, Businesses were very hard because there would be a lot of people wanting things and all so you would need a license to cook things and use stuff it was very hard to pay fees and bills because some people would rob or do something to your shop.

The Eureka Stockade was the most famous event to happen on the gold fields. The Stockade was build with wooden walls and was in the territory’s of other people’s land however the flag was made by three women. They made the flag in one night then Peter Lalor said a speech about their rights and liberties then in the early morning the troopers and Red Coats stormed the Stockade. 22 miners including 1 women died and 8 Troopers died as well. Peter Lalor started the fight and he escaped but he lost his arm.

Peter Lalor was one of the most famous people to ever live on the gold fields he was the who made Ballarat a better place to live in and they changed the rules about the gold licences and got rid of them because of Peter Lalor.

The important dates of the golds fields were 1851 when gold was first discovered by Hargraves. 1854 was when the Eureka Stockade happened the most famous event to ever happen back then. 1770 was when Australia was discovered by Captain Cook. 1788 was when the first fleet left.

My building was the Rees and Benjamin’s Watch and Clock makers. My building was a very famous shop on the gold fields. It sold watches, clocks and jewellery. It was very risky because people would sometimes smuggle things there. I learnt how the gold fields was a very special place to visit. I learnt things i had never known before.

One of the PLAs i learnt during this making and this unit was Courage and Thinking and my collaboration i showed all of these things because i shared my thinking with my partner. I showed Courage by making lots of hard decisions to make our store great. I showed collaboration because i never worked with my partner before and i talked and showed my ideas and we worked very well together to get our buildings done and we did it. I showed a lot of thinking and some resilience to put a creation of mine in the bin.

Thank you for reading. What’s your opinion on Sovereign Hill Ballarat in the 1850s.

Harry